Saturday, March 29, 2008

Earth Hour


It's Saturday night and I find myself sitting in a completely dark house. I've turned off all the lights and lit a candle in honor of Earth Hour. However, my laptop is still on (obviously), the refridgerator is running, as is the beer fridge in the bar downstairs and my neighbor's house shines like an airport landing strip due to the Christmas lights they still have on. I mean its not like Christmas was nearly four months ago or anything...


Not to mention that my husband is playing a gig right now and so any energy I'm not using at the house is being sucked down by his amp (The Fender Too Heavy) alone.


My workplace sent out a big press release yesterday touting thier involvement; lights shut off throughout the building except studios because the djs apparently can't work in the dark (wusses) and emergency lighting which is pretty much the only lights that would be on over the weekend anyway.


I'm all about saving the earth. I take my canvas bags to the grocery store. I try to eat locally. We carpool places when we can, etc, etc. But what is this whole Earth Hour thing really proving? If you want to really make a difference why not do it during business hours? The energy conservation would at least register at the power plant then. Maybe. And why just one hour? Why not all day? All week?


Whatever.


The reason I'm really writing this post is because I am procrastinating writing a paper for my ethics class. I am not digging this class. I have to conjure my best inner actress to feign any sort of interest in it whatsoever. The class discussions are innane. I cannot bring myself to read the textbooks. I hope to god my next class is better or I may never make it through this degree.
All this candlelight is making me sleepy...

No comments: