Sunday, May 24, 2009

More Rhubarb

Everyone in my family loves my mom's rhubarb crisp. She makes it in a 9 x 13 pan because if there is a kid, grandkid, neighbor kid, niece, nephew, cousin or husband anywhere in the vicinity, it disappears in hours, if not minutes. I fondly remember the days when I'd come home from school to find a freshly baked crisp cooling on the counter. What mom probably doesn't know is that I'd always immediately dig out a spoon and go after the whole pan in front of the TV. I've witnessed at least two of my nieces/nephews do the exact same thing and I swear they didn't learn it from me :D Wipped cream and/or ice cream on top is totally optional and I like it best the second day (if there's any left) out of the fridge. For the simple fact that I will eat the whole pan in one sitting if given the chance, I only make an 8 x 8 at a time.

Carol Mae's Rhubarb Crisp
Daughter Four Variation
Filling:
3/4 cup granulated sugar
1 1/2 heaping tablespoons flour
3/4 cup water
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
2 1/2 cups rhubarb, chopped
1 cup fresh raspberries, sliced fresh peaches or quartered strawberries (optional)

Crumble:
1/2 cup, plus two tablespoons oatmeal
1/2 cup, plus two tablespoons flour
1/2 cup light brown sugar
1/8 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/3 cup cold salted sweet cream butter

Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees. Spray an 8 x 8 inch pan with non-stick spray.
Combine granulated sugar, flour and water in a saucepan. Heat over medium-high heat until thick and bubbly. Add rhubarb and cook until the consistency of pie filling. Remove from heat and add vanilla and optional fresh fruit.

In a medium bowl, whisk together oatmeal, flour, brown sugar, salt and cinnamon. Cut in cold butter until you have a crumbly mixture. Pour filling into pan and top with the crumble.

Bake at 350 degrees for one hour. Cool completely (if you can) on countertop. Serve with or without whipped cream or ice cream. Refridgerate leftovers (if there are any). I would have posted a photo, but I already ate it all.

No comments: