It was nearly a year ago since I was laid off from my job and reassigned to the home office. Being a full-time stay-at-home-mom or SAHM (I've assimilated to the lingo) was not in my plan. I was career focused. I loved my job. I loved my baby and my husband, too, but I wasn't prepared to have my entire life revolve around them. I thought that being at home all the time would result in the loss of my identity, feeling of purpose in the world and a loss of why hygiene and grooming are important. Indeed, all of these things have happened. I was prepared to be Superwoman. I was prepared to be a career woman as well as a wife and a mother. I wasn't ready for the loneliness, isolation and total loss of social skills that has come with being alone with a small child most of the time. In a small crisis of self-esteem and worth, I have found myself asking, "is being just a mom and wife enough for me? Even if I'm really good at it?"
So, why not finish a Master's degree, have and raise two children and start my own business all at once? What else am I going to do with my 30's anyway?
No comments:
Post a Comment