Wednesday, June 9, 2010

Yummy Things from the Farm

I've been remiss this Spring in posting about our adventures in CSA eating. Actually, we've been remiss in our adventures in CSA cooking, as well, as the pregnancy and the toddler have taken a backseat to cooking on many nights. Its not that I'm less excited about the fresh veg we've been getting from Harmony Valley Farm, its been spot on, I just haven't had the muster. So! Knowing full-well that I've got a whole new box of veg coming tomorrow, I pulled everything out of the fridge today to survey what we've got and to ponder how to use it/store it before it goes bad. So, into the food processor go a number of things to create a pesto of sorts for some whole wheat pasta...

3 garlic scapes, cut into 1 inch pieces
1 bunch pea vine, tough stems removed
3 Egyptian (green) onions
3/4 cup toasted walnuts
1/2 cup olive oil
1 cup shredded Parmesan
1/2 tsp kosher salt
fresh ground black pepper

In the food processor, pulse the first four ingredients until minced. With the motor running, slowly pour in the olive oil until a thick paste forms. Add the cheese and pulse just to combine. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Pack into a plastic container and cover with a layer of olive oil (about another 1/4 - 1/2 cup) to preserve color. At this point you can store it in the fridge or freezer until you're ready to use. When you are, cook some pasta until al dente, drain, warm a big spoonful or two of the pesto in a pan (cook for a minute or so) and toss the pasta in. Top with lots of Parmesan cheese.

In Last Week’s Box from the Farm
Green Onions
Garlic Scapes
Pea Vine

All of the above went into the pesto.

Strawberries
Rhubarb

I made a strawberry-rhubarb cobbler

Yukina Savoy
Bok Choi

Still in the fridge, but destined for a stir fry.

Asparagus

Simply steamed and eaten with broiled chicken breasts

Salad Mix
Ostergruss Radish
Baby Broccoli
Greenleaf Lettuce
Baby Red Romaine

These last five all gotten eaten raw in a couple of big salads!

No comments: