Tuesday, November 23, 2010

My 35th Birthday

Henry helping me blow out my birthday candle
Whoa.  How the hell did I get to be 35 already?  I think I must have lost a few years somewhere!  According to Nathan, 35 is when the government officially declares you to be "middle aged."  Screw that.  If I plan to live to be 100, I've got at least another five to ten years before I hit the middle, right?  Anyhow, government labels aside, I am feeling overwhelmingly blessed as I enter my 36th year.  I have an absolutely awesome husband with whom I have two dangerously smart and gorgeous children.  I feel happy and secure and really, truly lucky.  My birthday had a decidedly "foodie" theme.  And I loved it.  Nathan and I were joined by two other couples at La Belle Vie for a to-die-for dinner on the 4th. Thanks, Honey!  (Thanks to the grandpeeps for watching the kids!)  And then on my actual birthday (11/6) we had the pleasure of hosting a fairly large group of our dear friends for beer, cake and fried chicken.  I know that doesn't sound particularly special, but it was the quality of the guests as well as the quality of the ingredients that made it great.  The beer was Hacker Pschorr Munich Gold from Germany and Cygnus X-1 Porter from Flat Earth Brewing here in St. Paul, MN.  The cake was from the Salty Tart and it was made with Surly Brewing's Furious Ale and a decadent chocolate ganache.  Thanks, Amy!!  The fried chicken was Thomas Keller's recipe from his new book which I got as a birthday gift.  Thanks Ann & Merald!!!  Heavenly all the way around.  Thank you so much to all of my friends for making it a very special day :)

Dave, Sam, Levi, Julie, Cari & Nathan - La Belle Vie 11/4/10
Killer fried chicken

No comments: