Saturday, February 25, 2012

Lemon Poppyseed Cookies

This are big and chewy, like the top of a lemon poppyseed muffin, but with glaze.  Sweet Jebus, I'm going to eat the whole batch!

Cookies
  • 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter at room temperature
  • 1 cup granulated sugar
  • 2 large eggs
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla
  • 1 tablespoon grated lemon zest
  • 2 tablespoons poppy seeds
  • 1/2 cup plain greek yogurt
  • 2 cups AP flour
  • 2 teaspoons baking powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
Cream butter and sugar on medium speed until all the sugar dissolves.  Add eggs one at at time, then vanilla and beat for a couple of minutes until fluffy.  Add zest, seeds and yogurt and mix until combined.  Sift together and then add dry ingredients.  Drop by hugely mounded tablespoonfuls onto parchment lined pans and bake 18 minutes at 350 degrees.  Should make 2 dozen, but don't crowd the pan because the spread.  I did nine per cookie sheet.  They should be a bit puffy and lightly browned.

Frosting
  • 1cup powdered sugar
  • 1 tablespoon butter very soft
  • 2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
Let cookies cool completely.  Spread with frosting and let the frosting/glaze harden before serving.  I store these in the fridge.   This is loosely adapted from a book called "Big, Soft, Chewy Cookies" by Jill Van Cleave which I downloaded to my Kindle for six bucks :)

No comments: