Thoughts, reminiscing, ramblings and statements of truth from a very un-princess-like Minnesota girl.
Tuesday, October 2, 2007
Back to School
After nine years of gradually whittling away at the synapses that my brain worked so hard to create, I've decided to go back to school. I began my Masters in Nonprofit Management at Hamline University in St. Paul at the start of September. Alternately thrilled and terrified to be back in academic setting, it's going surprisingly well. The program is designed for non-traditional students (old) who already work (slave) in nonprofit organizations. I am only taking one night class a semester. Really I think that is all I could handle and still work full time. It has already proven challenging to keep up with the reading. Of course, it doesn't help that the first text book assigned is ungodly boring. Chapters on tax code and theory don't exactly keep one riveted. I am having to learn a whole new style of academic writing called APA Style. It is hard to wrap my brain around since 1) I haven't written a paper in nearly a decade and 2) I used MLA Style exclusively in my undergrad. But, it's good for me and I am thoroughly enjoying the classroom discussions. There's one blowhard in the bunch (no, it's not me) but the Prof does a good job of managing them. I've been working on an oral presentation for tomorrow night's class. Turns out, I'm a whiz at Powerpoint. Who knew?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment