Monday, December 31, 2007

Reflections on 2007

Oh my, what a year this has been! A very good year. Nathan and I have been surrounded by friends and family and love. I feel very lucky as I look back. Here's a brief recap of the events that made me happy, joy-filled and proud this year:
January - My dear friend, Amy, along with her boyfriend Brian, bought their first house. We warmed it up with a few friends, some beer and a meatball and grape jelly concoction that is not nearly as bad as it sounds.

January also marked the arrival of Ms. Paige Marie Erickson, daughter of our good friends Missy and Craig. Smiley-est baby ever.

February - February brings with it Trivia at KVSC. The Hamsters recorded more songs that will haunt me forever such as "Metrosexual" and "We Will Mock You" and I was inducted into the Trivia Hall of Fame for 12 years of volunteerism, tongue wagging and general bossiness. Check out Jeff in the hotpants in his ode to Freddie Mercury!
That same week I had the luxury of spending an afternoon on the beach in San Diego drinking Sailor Jerry wop from an ice bucket and watching the sun set over the Pacific. It is random moments like this that make travelling for my job not so bad.
March - In March, planning for our wedding kicked into HIGH gear. Appointments for tuxes, dresses, flowers and cake filled our days. Several evenings were spent making and sending the invites and cleaning and organizing the house. Stress relief showed itself in two great parties. First, the annual St. Paul St. Paddy's day bar crawl on the 17th was a welcome day of hanging out with friends. Since it was a Saturday this year, I got to spend the whole day and it was great. I highly recommend the Hot Dagos at DeGidio's. Okay, you may be thinking, "what? Italian food on St. Paddy's Day?" In St. Paul, yeah, that's what you get, a fusion of Irish and Italian immigrants stretching down 7th Street as far as the eye can see.

March also brought what I lovingly refer to as the "Attack Kegger." After a nice dinner with with our friends Mike & Michelle and their two children, a ruckus was heard at the back door. I walked back there to find Don and Tyler hauling two kegs down the back stairs. I followed them down in a bit of disbelief to find they weren't alone. A throng of close friends stood in the bar, all accompanied by newly sewn sock puppets singing a Foreigner song at the top of their lungs. I was stunned. We christened The Puppet Lounge that night and celebrated my and Nathan's engagement with high octane revelry.

April - This month can only be described as amazing. Two wedding showers, my bachelorette weekend that found Angie, Amy and I in Madison and Chicago. OH YEAH!
and, of course, our wedding. It is hard for me to believe that our wedding was only 8 months ago. It seems like a dream. I am so thrilled to be Nathan's wife. Our relationship and love grows every day. He is so sweet to me and I don't know what I'd do without him. Insert dreamy sigh here. Our wedding day was incredible. The weather was a perfect sunny and 70 and all of our friends and family turned up to spend the day with us. Thank you so much to each and every one of you, it meant so much to us to have you all there. I would be remiss if I did not mention the best wedding band ever that included a revolving cast of our closest friends anchored by Slip Twister and followed by the best pool party ever. Truly, a day I will never forget!

May - With the wedding over, we headed to the British Virgin Islands for our honeymoon. We spent an entire week being lazy - eating, drinking rum and floating in the ocean. Ah.

This is the hammock at our cabana. Sweet. We followed up our honeymoon with our annual pilgrimage to Maiden Rock, Wisconsin to drink Maibock and sit in the grass. Good times.

May also brought the arrival of two new friends. We welcomed Tobin Micko and Lukas Houkum to the universe and have watch them grow tremendously already. I can't wait to see them at a full run next summer.

June - This month brought my crushing defeat by the wind on the MS 150. Day one from Duluth to Hinckley included a 25 mph head wind. At mile 50, Nathan and I hung it up and crawled aboard the sag wagon. I felt like such a loser, but the charity still gets all the money I raised. I will have to redeem myself next summer.

My nephew, Tim graduated from high school along with his step-sister, Jenny. We attended their party in West Fargo to wish them well as they both started NDSU in the fall.

I spent a whole week out west in Oregon and Seattle. It was a pleasure to visit my sister-in-law, her husband and nieces and to spend a day out on the coast.

I also got to make a return visit to Safeco with my friend Troy in Seattle. A lot of the month was spent enjoying our Twins season tickets, although I missed Batgirl's daily commentary quite a bit.


July - Summer means lots of time with friends and we made the most of it with weekends at Pinky on Big Watab, The Gohman's on the Mississippi River and Levi's on Tomahawk Lake in Wisconsin. July also marked my first trip to Lake Tahoe for a conference and a booze cruise on the lake.


August - We've been making an annual pilgrimage to Madeline Island in August for Amy's birthday the last several years and this was no exception. We spent a most memorable day drinking beer and laughing, laughing, laughing as we sat in the "pit of bliss" with friends and danced several nights in a row to the rhythms of the Pachanga Society. It's like being in the Caribbean, but the water is just a tad colder.


The first week in August we just missed being a part of the 35W bridge collapse. Nathan and I were on our way downtown when it happened. I was driving and as we approached our exit to get on to 35W, I looked down the road and decided there was too much slow-moving traffic and that we should just stay on Hennepin. Lucky for us. We were likely on the Hennepin Bridge (two bridges upriver) when it fell. It was very much a shock and I really feel incredibly sorry for the people who died, thier families and the survivors that will be dealing with physical and emotional trauma for years to come.


September - Labor Day weekend means a blissful weekend camping in the woods. Much beer was consumed and many saunas were taken.


I started grad school at Hamline and this year September also meant a lot of work for me as we hosted the biggest industry conference of the year here in M/SP.


October - Work, work, work for both me and Nathan. I traveled to California and Nathan to Orlando for conferences.


November - I turned 32! And I spent most of the month working on my final project for my class. Nathan was consumed by work this month and I spent a lot of time curled up on the sofa with a bunch of books and my laptop. Thanksgiving was a welcome break as we headed to Georgia to see my sister and her family as well as my mom and dad.


December - A whirlwind of parties and celebrations have filled our weekends this month from champagne tastings to the Santa Crawl to family Christmas gatherings. We got to babysit Paige who is now 11 months old and a sockless wonder.

There has been lots of good snow to play in and Nathan and I hit Rice Park for some ice skating, which resulted in a giant bruise on my rear as I got wiped out by a little girl. Funny sure, but painful.


I look forward to another wonderful year in 2008 and I wish all of my friends and family all the love, joy and peace they can stand.

No comments: