Wednesday, January 14, 2009

CHANGE-New President, New Year, New Direction

2009 is going to be all about change. Obama ran on a platform of change and he is facing incredible challenges as he and his administration looks to right the disasters that W has left to him. I am optimistic, yet fearful, as I realize that things are likely to get worse before they get better.

My life has changed dramatically and looks as though it will continue to do so. I am faced with challenges of my own as I was laid off from my job today after just returning from maternity leave only a week and a half ago. And I was just getting used to the whole boob pumping thing!So, in addition to being a new mom, I am facing unemployment. I will have to rethink my entire plan. I have been working in radio for my entire adult life and now have the opportunity reevaluate that career path. But, I love public radio! I hope to find a way to continue, maybe finish, the Master's degree that I started at Hamline University. My fears of returning to work in my previous post are at once alleivated and magnified. Perhaps I should go in a completely different direction - start my own business? Learn to tango? Do like every other unemployed and long cubeland-stifled creative person and pledge to write the great american novel?

Most of what transpired today hasn't even sunk in yet.

2 comments:

Nataraj Hauser said...

BUMMER! That's a pretty quick turnaround on you. I'll be curious to hear what you decide to do, my friend.

Nataraj Hauser said...

In an interesting cosmic twist, I now have an option to 1) stay at my increasingly disfunctional company, or 2) take a voluntary separation package and become unemployed. Reena and I are reviewing the scenarios...