Thursday, March 26, 2009

Chicken and 40 Cloves

I love garlic! I made Chicken and 40 Cloves for my friends this past weekend. It turned out wonderful. Both the meal and the leftovers were eagerly lapped up. I am also quite enamored with how this photo turned out. The light from the setting sun really shows off the steam and the composition of the plate. If you are concerned about it being too much garlic for you, do not worry, the cooking process mellows the garlic and makes it simply scrumptous and not over-powering. You absolutely must serve this with a good loaf of bread to lap up all the garlic gravy. There are hundreds of variations on this classic recipe. I used the Alice Q. Foodie variation of the Barefoot Contessa recipe. I agree with Alice that you need to crisp up the skin in the broiler for a few minutes after braising. I also did a side by side comparison with the Cooking Light variation and you could easily do a compromise between the two (keep the cognac, reduce the oil, substitute a 1/2 & 1/2 for the heavy cream) and make it a tad healthier. It is really a great dish and I plan to repeat it for Husband Man this weekend.

2 comments:

Jen said...

*drool drool drool*

If one of us wins the lottery, we should open a restaurant. And pay someone to do the actual work.

Nataraj Hauser said...

No such thing as too much garlic. I'll come to your restaurant when it opens, so go ahead and win that lottery.