Sunday, March 15, 2009

Oatmeal Raisin


Here's the latest cookie I've made. I started with the Cook's Illustrated recipe but deviated. A lot.
I added three ingredients and changed another one. I think that makes it my own, don't you? They turned out chewy and oatmeal-y and nutmeg-a-licous. I really should be adding up my daily butter consumption. I have a feeling its very, very high.

Wet Stuff:
2 sticks butter
1 cup light brown sugar
1 cup granulated sugar
2 large eggs
1 tsp. vanilla extract (the real stuff, imitation vanilla extract should be outlawed)

Dry stuff:
1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
1 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. freshly grated nutmeg (store bought ground nutmeg sucks)
1/2 tsp. cinnamon

The goods:
3 cups old-fashioned rolled oats
1 1/2 cups raisins

Beat the butter, add the sugar, beat some more, add the eggs one at a time, beat some more, add the vanilla. Whisk the dry stuff together for even distribution, reserving one tablespoon. Mix the dry with the wet. Toss the raisins with the reserved tablespoon of dry stuff so they don't stick together. Add the oats and raisins to the dough and mix just until combined. Scoop 1 1/2 tablespoon balls onto parchment-lined baking sheets. The need about 12 minutes or so at 350 degrees or until just starting to get a little brown around the edges. Take them out even if they still look a little underbaked. If you leave them in too long, they will get hard and hard cookies suck. These should be chewy.

Lovely with a glass of milk, unless you're lactose intolerant in which case they are also lovely with a Surly Bender :)

1 comment:

Jen said...

>>Lovely with a glass of milk, unless you're lactose intolerant in which case they are also lovely with a Surly Bender :)

You are a woman after my own heart. I need to devise a way to become lactose intolerant.