Sunday, June 21, 2009

What to do with Garlic Scapes

Half the fun of getting a farmshare is trying things you've never had before or things you've never had in mass quantity. There was the summer I learned what to do with an entire box of beets, as well as the endless possibilities of "gazpacho" when you use the term loosely. I've learned that you can make soup out of just about anything and Wednesday is often "Stir Fry Day" as I use up all remaining vegetables in the fridge before the next load comes on Thursday. So, what to do with garlic scapes? These were new to me last summer and I had a whole handful in the veggie drawer today, collected over the last two weeks. I chopped them up, sauted them in a knob of butter with some kosher salt and then I put them in the food proccessor with two more sticks of unsalted butter and more kosher salt. The result is a huge frozen log of the best garlic butter ever. I look forward to using it on fresh baked bread, melted over steak and for sauteing all those other veggies that I won't know what to do with as the summer progresses.

1 comment:

Jen said...

that sounds amazing... mmm.

I used diced garlic scapes in the egg mixture for cheese omelettes once. Fabulous.