Monday, July 19, 2010

Spicy Asian Slaw

More cabbage from the farm this week and I finally have figured out how to not destroy it in my food processor. You'd think it'd take less than a year to figure out which blades to use for what, but not so. My deteriorated mental state (baby brain) doesn't help, of course, but now that I've got it down, more slaw! I took the sweetheart cabbage, a couple of carrots and a cucumber for a shred and came up with this. Plain old cole slaw is boring and this is reminiscent of some of my favorite sushi rolls.

1/2 head cabbage, shredded
2 medium carrots, shredded
1 medium cucumber, shredded (squeeze out excess water)
1 1/2 cups snow peas, chopped in one-inch pieces
Dressing:
1/2 cup mayonnaise
1 tbls spicy Asian mustard or dijion
1 tbls low-sodium soy sauce
1 tbls Sirracha Sauce
1 tbls rice wine vinegar or lemon juice
1 tbls toasted sesame seeds
Sesame chili oil to taste (I used a lot as I like it hot!)

(NOTE: Use Kewpie Mayo if you've got it, which is a Japanese mayonnaise made with rice wine vinegar, otherwise regular Hellman's. There is never a good time for Miracle Whip, which is NOT mayonnaise, but a bastardization that they even refer to as "salad dressing." Ick. But, I digress.)

1 comment:

Vicki said...

Wow! This was a good one!