Sunday, December 9, 2007

Georgia on my mind

This is a blaze marking the way to the Appalachian Trail. The AT itself is marked with white blazes. Side trails and shelter trials are maked with blue. This photo was taken on the
Approach Trail in Amicalola State Park in North Georgia. It is about 7 miles from the top of the falls to the AT trialhead at Springer Mountain. There are about 165,000 of these marking the 2,175 miles of trail from Georgia to Maine. Nathan and I hiked the first two miles of the Approach Trail. Only 2,172 to go. The 604 steps up to the top of the falls are tough, but the view is quite breathtaking.

I love the idea of hiking the entire length of the AT. I imagine weeks of solitude and nature, quiet contemplation and beautiful scenery. I imagine in the inner strength and sense of accomplishment that such a journey would provide. I imagine my body fit and strong from day after day of hiking. Yep, I love the idea of hiking the whole of the AT - in theory, that is. In reality, I know better. Its a long, hard slog that only about 9000 people have every claimed to accomplish. I would get tired after a few days and the desire to be on my couch with a baseball game on the tube and a cold beer next to me would drive me off the trail and to the nearest airport. Maybe I could do the trail slowly, in 3 day increments over the rest of my lifetime...

Or not.

2 comments:

Muggsy said...

I knew one of the 9000. He used to be the St. Cloud Restaurant Supply rep when I worked at the Meeting Grounds downtown. He hiked it over an entire summer.

Cari said...

Maibock Rookie of they year in
2003, Steve, did it in four months. He more or less ran from one end to the other. It takes normal people more like six to eight months to do the whole thing.