Or "Holy Mindfuck, Batman! There's something moving inside me!"
The term "the quickening" means a couple of different things. According to The Oxford Dictionary "quicken" means to "give life or vigor to; rouse." So it refers to the point at which a fetus' brain has developed enough to start sending electric pulses to the limbs causing them to move. It also refers to the first time or times a pregnant woman feels the fetus move inside her. This last meaning, I refer to as the mindfuck.
You see, pregnancy is quite sucky the first tri-mester with all the fatigue and nausea. But other than feeling generally crappy like I had a bastard of a Wild Turkey hangover that lasted for six weeks, the whole pregnancy thing was still somewhat of a concept more than a reality. Even after getting ultrasound pictures of the little rascal, it still seemed like pictures of someone else's kid, not mine.
Then, the second tri-mester rolled around andI felt great! I felt so good and normal for awhile that I began, in fact, to question whether or not I was actually pregnant. Not that I want to complain about feeling good but it makes the fact that a child is on its way even more of a concept than a reality. At least when I felt like puking, I knew there was a reason for it.
Then, the mindfuck.
For several days I had thought that maybe some of the odd sensations that I was feeling were more than simply gas pains or run of the mill digestive action, but I wasn't sure. Then one day, I felt this gentle prodding, this poking, this mild jabbing sensation even and it happened five times in a row in the exact same spot. I knew at that point that it must be the fetus trying out its legs. Or arms. Or anything its got, HEY! (I thought you'd enjoy the Hokey Pokey earworm for the day :P) So, whoa! It's not so much of a concept anymore. There's actually something moving around in there! And, it's fiesty. I've taken to refering to it as the Pamplemousse as it's about the size of a small grapefruit these days. Not to mention that I crave fruit, particularly citrus constantly. While it has been hard to imagine that there's a fetus 5 inches long growing in my tummy, it is starting to make itself apparent by rapidly expanding my waistline. I'm starting to look pregnant and I imagine that in a few more weeks the whole world will be able to tell that my belly is the product of more than a weekend cheesecake binge. Mmm...cheesecake... Did I mention that I'm hungry? All the time? So, here's the deal. Want to guess how much weight I'll gain before this is all over? Winner is the closest quess without going over. Leave your guess in the comments and add $5 bucks to the pool next time you see me (or mail it to me). Winner takes all. For reference, I am normally 145-150. Average women gain 25-35 with a healthy pregnancy. I do have an affection for gluttony. Guess away!
8 comments:
Hey, Princess Cari.
I stumbled onto your blog via Muggsy's Brain. I am so happy for you and the hubby! To quote my favorite doctor: "Life! Life Itself!"
Of course, the big question about all of this is how having a baby will affect Trivia.
Congrats again!
I suspect the kid will be creating its own Diversions sets before it can walk...
Update: 20 weeks - the half way mark - and I'm up to 165.
I am guessing a solid 40 pounds, putting me at 185.
Brenda is in for 52 pounds.
DeAnna Motschenbacher guesses that you will gain 40 pounds during pregnancy.
I guess I need to change that to 41 pounds.
DeAnna
I still remember the first time Erin kicked her DAD. We were in bed, and my belly was snuggled up against his back. Kick. Kick - Kick.
Ken was so awestruck he couldn't fall asleep that night.
It was a lovely albeit accidental way for the "it's ALIVE!" moment to happen for Ken.
Ya know, after he's born, you'll miss those little movements inside you. Funny thing, it took me a few weeks to realize that the baby wasn't 'gone', just being held in my arms instead of my belly!
Post a Comment